Connect to us
      Facebook Login
      Site Registration Why to Join

Facebook Login
Site Registration

Parentry: Civic sense: Take baby steps

+1 vote

How do you raise a thinking citizen? Start thinking yourself
After two refreshing holidays in cities both cleaner/dirty, organised/messed up than our own, I wondered how we could get kids to think beyond themselves and our own needs.

http://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.com/columns/you/parentry-civic-sense-take-baby-steps/articleshow/59008632.cms

By Christobelle JosephChristobelle Joseph, Bangalore Mirror Bureau

Our country has been notoriously branded as a nation of selfish people. We get ahead, often, by stepping on everyone else. Mr Dad argued that our sheer numbers make it natural for behaviour such as this. He’d seen amazingly similar (and “extraordinary”) behaviour in London recently, when the public transit system had unexpected problems and people needed to get home – some more urgently than the rest.

In my mind, many South East Asian countries are populous, and yet there is order. They don’t just deface/ruin public property on a whim/habit. Could the secret lie in giving kids an overview of the world we live in? Could a widening of our own view be a step into letting them see their worlds holistically?

Small example. My early a.m. flight, last night, saw many children disrupted and sleep-deprived. Travelling with young children myself, I have immense patience reserved for little ones and a storehouse full of comforting smiles for embarrassed parents; I use them freely.

While there were kids who braved the snakey queues with few inaudible sniffles, heavy eyes and cheeks, others had all-out wriggling-and-screaming fest with their parents. A closer listen revealed to me, in that short social experiment, that the ones who were dealing better, were the ones with communicative parents.

“Why are we waiting?” “I want my toys!” “I need to go to Bangalore!””When can we go home?” seemed questions common to all the children, but while some parents responded with “Do you want to get your bag? Then wait!”, others drew children’s attention to the fact that there was a long line of people who had arrived
before them.

I thought this was fab. Suddenly, it was not about me and MY discomfort, MY late luggage, but about US waiting, a system to follow, and a queue to respect those that had arrived earlier and waited longer.
I’m not sure how much the kids understood, and what impact it will have for life, but I liked that approach better.

posted Jun 7, 2017 by Krinz Kiran

Promote This Blog
Facebook Share Button Twitter Share Button Google+ Share Button LinkedIn Share Button Multiple Social Share Button

Related Blogs
+1 vote

Engaging children while reading to them can better activate their brains, say scientists who suggest that simply speaking words aloud from a book may not be enough to improve cognitive development in toddlers. The study involved functional MRI scans of 22 4-year-old girls to explore the link between engagement and verbal interactivity during a mother-child reading observation and neural activation and connectivity during a story listening task.

http://www.deccanheraldepaper.com/

Children exhibiting greater interest in the narrative showed increased activation in right-sided cerebellar areas of the brain, thought to support cognitive skill acquisition and refinement via connection to language, association and executive function areas.

The study, led by researchers at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Centre in the US, reinforces the value of "dialogic reading," where the child is encouraged to actively participate. "The takeaway for parents in this study is that they should engage more when reading with their child, ask questions, have them turn the page, and interact with each other," said John Hutton, a pediatrician at Cincinnati Children's Hospital and lead author of the study.

"In turn, this could fuel brain activation - or turbocharge the development of literacy skills, particularly comprehension, in preschool aged children," explained Hutton.

+2 votes

In a search for solutions to some of the biggest challenges facing people around the world, the second day of the Unite Conference in Rotterdam looked to build bridges from schools to politicians to policies.                               The world and its multitude of problems may appear overwhelming at first glance, but the mood at Education International (EI)’s Unite for Quality Education and Leadership Conference in The Netherlands’ Education City 2017 could be summed up into one word: action.

http://edupost.in/students/read/from-the-classroom-to-the-world-and-back-educators-take-on-a-global-perspec

That was the message conveyed by speakers and ideas stemming from discussions during day two of the three-day event. The tone of the day was set with the powerful and memorable words of Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Kailash Satyarthi. The champion of children’s rights, and long-time friend of EI, Satyarthi brought current political and social issues to the fore.  

“Before so many walls are constructed around and inside of us, let's unite the world through bridges of compassion,” he said. “Teachers can lead with conscience, courage and compassion to help build a child-friendly world.”                                                                                                                                                                       The Nobel Laureate announced his new 100 Million for 100 Million Campaign, which was fully endorsed and supported by EI General Secretary Fred van Leeuwen. The initiative seeks to see that the world’s 100 million child labourers are set free. Of Satyarthi van Leeuwen said that “his story is one of vocational perseverance, dedication to his values and plain and simple hard work.”

His words were also appropriate on day when the troubling trend of post truth was discussed in the context of education, and how teachers can work to counter the reality of false facts. And the theme of compassion and human connection was also relevant as the contentious issue of standardised testing was put to the debate floor. Steffen Handel of the Norwegian EI affiliate UEN exchanged his views with the OECD’s Yuri Belfali.

+1 vote

Dear School / Education Institute Owners, Management personnel, Faculty, Advisers, Consultants and Others: -
At ISPARK INNOVATIONS, we thank you for your precious time and interest - in dropping by at the event, meeting us. 
We are keen to work with you and create a lasting engagement to deliver best solutions to the students at your schools.
You will receive product and solution information from us shortly. And one of us will call to discuss details further, shortly.

thank you for you support and best regards
Sridhar, Team ISPARK INNOVATIONS
www.isparkinnovations.net

enter image description here

+1 vote

Deepavali Wishes from Team ISPARK and GoMaXit

May this Deepavali (festival of lights) destroy your old burdens, limitations, worries and pains. And flood your life with wisdom, joy, energy, health and prosperity! 

Our teams at ISPARK and GOMAXIT.COM wish you and your family and loved ones a wonderful Deepavali 2017!