Connect to us
      Facebook Login
      Site Registration Why to Join

Facebook Login
Site Registration

Teachers need real feedback

+1 vote

Photo Source: haikudeck.com

Until recently, many teachers only got one word of feedback a year: "satisfactory." And with no feedback, no coaching, there's just no way to improve. Bill Gates suggests that even great teachers can get better with smart feedback -- and lays out a program from his foundation to bring it to every classroom.

This talk was presented at an official TED conference.

ABOUT THE SPEAKER

Bill Gates · Philanthropist

A passionate techie and a shrewd businessman, Bill Gates changed the world while leading Microsoft to dizzying success. Now he's doing it again with his own style of philanthropy and passion for innovation.

https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates_teachers_need_real_feedback#t-400314

Everyone needs a coach. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a basketball player, a tennis player, a gymnast or a bridge player. (Laughter)

My bridge coach, Sharon Osberg, says there are more pictures of the back of her head than anyone else’s in the world. (Laughter) Sorry, Sharon. Here you go.

We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve. Unfortunately, there’s one group of people who get almost no systematic feedback to help them do their jobs better, and these people have one of the most important jobs in the world. I’m talking about teachers. When Melinda and I learned how little useful feedback most teachers get, we were blown away. Until recently, over 98 percent of teachers just got one word of feedback: Satisfactory. If all my bridge coach ever told me was that I was “satisfactory,” I would have no hope of ever getting better. How would I know who was the best? How would I know what I was doing differently? Today, districts are revamping the way they evaluate teachers, but we still give them almost no feedback that actually helps them improve their practice. Our teachers deserve better. The system we have today isn’t fair to them. It’s not fair to students, and it’s putting America’s global leadership at risk. So today I want to talk about how we can help all teachers get the tools for improvement they want and deserve.

Read More

content sourced from vialogue.wordpress.com​

To watch the complete video Click Here

posted Aug 16 by Gowri Vimalan

Promote This Blog
Facebook Share Button Twitter Share Button Google+ Share Button LinkedIn Share Button Multiple Social Share Button

Related Blogs
+1 vote

Bengaluru: Over 40 government school science teachers donned students hats for an enrichment programme conducted in the city. They were taught how to make science lessons more interactive and student-friendly.

http://toi.in/eAGzka95/a19ai

Anubhava Science Foundation's (ASF) in collaboration with Karnataka State Council for Science and Technology (KSCST) launched the Teachers's Enrichment programme a year ago. As part of the initiative, sessions are conducted for science teachers of higher primary government and Aided schools at The Indian Institute of Science (IISC). 

It was a great learning experience for us. We realized the importance of making science and maths more student- friendly . We learnt everything from speed of light to rainwater harvesting. Initially, we used to just read up from the text books and come to class. Now, we begin the class with a question , said S Devika Bai from GPHS School.   

+1 vote

Photo Source: kqed news

As a new parent, Jack Gilbert got a lot of different advice on how to properly look after his child: when to give him antibiotics or how often he should sterilize his pacifier, for example.

After the birth of his second child, Gilbert, a scientist who studies microbial ecosystems at the University of Chicago, decided to find out what’s actually known about the risks involved when modern-day children come in contact with germs.

By Lulu Garcia-Navarro

https://ww2.kqed.org/mindshift/2017/07/18/dirt-is-good-why-kids-need-exposure-to-germs/

“It turned out that most of the exposures were actually beneficial,” Gilbert says. “So that dirty pacifier that fell on the floor — if you just stick it in your mouth and lick it, and then pop it back in little Tommy’s mouth, it’s actually going to stimulate their immune system. Their immune system’s going to become stronger because of it.”

Gilbert is now the co-author of a new book called Dirt is Good: The Advantage of Germs for Your Child’s Developing Immune System. Presented in a Q&A format, the book seeks to answer many of the questions Gilbert has fielded from parents over the year

This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

Interview Highlights

What are some things that parents get wrong?

Some of the main things are over-sterilizing their environment, keeping their children from ever getting dirty. So going out into the backyard and playing in the mud, and then as soon as they’re filthy, bringing them in and sterilizing their hands with antiseptic wipes, and then making sure that none of the dirt gets near their faces. Also, keeping them away from animals. The dogs and cats, sure, but also, other animals. It’s fine to wash their hands if there’s a cold or a flu virus around, but if they’re interacting with a dog, and the dog licks their face, that’s not a bad thing. In fact that could be extremely beneficial for the child’s health.

What about hand sanitizer? Good or bad?

Usually bad. Hot, soapy water is fine. Even mildly warm, soapy water is fine, and it’s probably less damaging to the child’s overall health.

How about the five-second rule? The idea that if something falls on the ground and is there for under five seconds, it’s clean.

The five-second rule doesn’t exist. It takes milliseconds for microbes to attach themselves to a sticky piece of jammy toast, for example. But it makes no difference. Unless you dropped it in an area where you think they could be a high risk of extremely dangerous pathogens, which in every modern American home is virtually impossible, then there’s no risk to your child.

Wash a pacifier or lick it if it falls on the ground?

Lick it. A study of over 300,000 children showed that parents who licked the pacifier and put it back in — their kids developed less allergies, less asthma, less eczema. Overall, their health was stronger and more robust.

Are things like allergies an unintended consequence of trying to protect our kids too much?

Absolutely. In the past, we would have eaten a lot more fermented foods, which contain bacteria. We would have allowed our children to be exposed to animals and plants and soil on a much more regular basis. Now we live indoors. We sterilize our surfaces. Their immune systems then become hyper-sensitized. You have these little soldier cells in your body called neutrophils, and when they spend too long going around looking for something to do, they become grumpy and pro-inflammatory. And so when they finally see something that’s foreign, like a piece of pollen, they become explosively inflammatory. They go crazy. That’s what triggers asthma and eczema and often times, food allergies.

Give us some advice. What should I allow my child to do?

Oftentimes, it’s hard to get your kid to eat a healthy diet. I would strongly try to encourage the consumption of more colorful vegetables, more leafy vegetables, a diet more rich in fiber as well as reducing the sugar intake. But just generally, allow your kid to experience the world. As long as they’re properly vaccinated, there’s no threat, and they will actually get a stronger, more beneficial exposure.

+2 votes

Photo source :  Luminosity

I have always loved books. As a child, I was always fascinated by the magical world of books. The moment I opened a book, the characters would appear in front of my eyes as if real and start talking to me. The stories would form real pictures in my mind and I would feel as if I was a part of it. My passion for books has become an integral part of motherhood. I am very keen in developing a love for reading in my children. Every day before going to bed, we have a routine of reading story books. I try to read a variety of books for them ranging from fairy tales, moral stories, general knowledge and much more.

https://vidhiduggal.wordpress.com/2017/02/13/10-reasons-why-i-love-to-read-to-my-kids-10-reasons-why-i-love-to-read-to-my-kids/

Reading has immense benefits on the development of a child. It helps them in developing language, forms new brain connections and creates an interest for books which always helps them later in life.

Here I am just writing ten benefits of reading which I am sure are much less for those who love reading.

1. Quiet and Calmness

These days children are extremely active and never for a moment they like to sit still quietly. They never get tired of jumping and running around. Reading a book provides them with time for relaxation, quiet and calmness in their busy lives. They learn to sit still and focus. While listening to a story they also learn to concentrate. It also calms a child when he is fretful and restless.

2. Imagination and Play

Stories are a great source of encouraging and stimulating imagination. This imagination helps them in adding more variety to their play. When they are engaged in a story, they begin to imagine about the characters and situations in it and start thinking about how they feel.

3. Parent Child Bonding

Reading a story provides opportunities for parents to bond with their children. It is a great way of spending quality time together with the kids. Reading to your children gives them intimacy, they feel close to you, they get the feeling of being loved and secured. This feeling of getting opportunity from you helps them to grow smart.

Read more...

+1 vote

Photo Source: LUMINOSITY

Recently I was facing some problems in my home front due to which I couldn’t send my daughter to school, she told me that she was selected for a participation in an event in her school. It was very important to attend her school. I was in a dilemma. On the one hand, was the situation which required my immediate attention and on the other hand, was my daughter’s auditions in her school.

by vidhiduggal

https://vidhiduggal.wordpress.com/2017/07/13/teacher-sharing-our-burden-and-caring-for-our-children/

“What should I do now? If she doesn’t go to her school, she will miss her auditions. Her participation is very important for her.” I kept thinking. 

I thought of talking to her teacher. I sent her a message telling her about my problem. She told me that she would consider. I felt as if a burden was lifted off my shoulders.

Two years back, when I was expecting my second baby, I had certain complications and was advised bed rest. I could pay very little attention on my daughter’s studies which started affecting her academic performance. I sent a message to her class teacher and informed her about my condition. Her teacher understood our problems and helped my daughter a lot. She not only provided academic help but gave her emotional support as well. Her immense love and care helped my daughter in sailing through even those days when I was in the hospital. I felt very grateful to her for all that she did for us.

This kind of informal interaction with the teachers has always helped me and my daughter in solving her problems at home or at school. I would like to thank all the teachers who not only take care of our children in school but give more than their usual time for the betterment of our children.

Having an informal and healthy interaction with the teachers is a very important asset and can prove to be very helpful in our children’s development. We can discuss the problems faced by our children on a day to day basis. Earlier, we could meet the teachers only on parent teacher meetings which were formal interactions. We could only discuss the result and report cards of the child.

We expect so much from the teachers of our children. We lay the entire responsibility of the academic development of our children on them. The teacher gets to spend only half an hour per subject in a classroom of over 40 students. She must include so many things in her curriculum and look after many aspects. How can we expect her to excel each child in every sphere?

At home, at times, we find it difficult to teach our kids. We often hire tutors for our children to teach them. In school, a teacher must teach so many students in a class wherein each child is unique and has different capabilities. It would be unfair on our part to expect a teacher to know and understand every child’s caliber and potential.

The parent teacher meetings that are conducted at regular intervals are also very helpful in the development of our children. It gives the parent an opportunity to interact not only with the teachers but also with other parents as well. We can thus bond with other parents too. This way we can get to know the areas where our child is doing well and where he needs our support.

If we want our child to excel, we must interact informally with the teachers regularly. We should also take out time to attend the parent teacher meeting. It helps the teacher in getting to know our child better. Since the aim of both the teacher and the parent is same, we must bridge the gap between the parent teacher relationship and work together as a team for an all-round development of our child.

+1 vote

Photo Source:  DEEP ROOTS AT HOME 

By Jacqueline 

http://deeprootsathome.com/kids-bored-entitled/

Victoria Prooday, OT finds today’s kids come to school emotionally unavailable for learning. There are many factors in our modern lifestyle that contribute to this.

She writes:

I am an occupational therapist with years of experience working with children, parents, and teachers. I completely agree with this teacher’s message that our children are getting worse and worse in many aspects. I hear the same consistent message from every teacher I meet. Clearly, throughout my time as an Occupational Therapist, I have seen and continue to see a decline in kids’ social, emotional, and academic functioning, as well as a sharp increase in learning disabilities and other diagnoses.

As we know, the brain is malleable. Through environment, we can make the brain “stronger” or make it “weaker”. I truly believe that, despite all our greatest intentions, we unfortunately remold our children’s brains in the wrong direction. Here is why:

1. TECHNOLOGY

Using technology as a “Free babysitting service” is, in fact, not free at all. The payment is waiting for you just around the corner.  We pay with our kids’ nervous systems, with their attention, and with their ability for delayed gratification. Compared to virtual reality, everyday life is boring. When kids come to the classroom, they are exposed to human voices and adequate visual stimulation as opposed to being bombarded with the graphic explosions and special effects that they are used to seeing on the screens. After hours of virtual reality, processing information in a classroom becomes increasingly challenging for our kids because their brains are getting used to the high levels of stimulation that video games provide. The inability to process lower levels of stimulation leaves kids vulnerable to academic challenges. Technology also disconnects us emotionally from our children and our families. Parental emotional availability is the main nutrient for child’s brain. Unfortunately, we are gradually depriving our children of that nutrient.

2. KIDS GET EVERYTHING THE MOMENT THEY WANT IT

“I am Hungry!!” “In a sec I will stop at the drive thru” “I am Thirsty!” “Here is a vending machine.” “I am bored!” “Use my phone!”  The ability to delay gratification is one of the key factors for future success. We have the best intentions — to make our children happy — but unfortunately, we make them happy at the moment but miserable in the long term.  To be able to delay gratification means to be able to function under stress. Our children are gradually becoming less equipped to deal with even minor stressors, which eventually become huge obstacles to their success in life.

The inability to delay gratification is often seen in classrooms, malls, restaurants, and toy stores the moment the child hears “No” because parents have taught their child’s brain to get what it wants right away.

3. KIDS RULE THE WORLD

“My son doesn’t like vegetables.” “She doesn’t like going to bed early.” “He doesn’t like to eat breakfast.” “She doesn’t like toys, but she is very good at her iPad” “He doesn’t want to get dressed on his own.” “She is too lazy to eat on her own.” This is what I hear from parents all the time. Since when do children dictate to us how to parent them? If we leave it all up to them, all they are going to do is eat macaroni and cheese and bagels with cream cheese, watch TV, play on their tablets, and never go to bed. What good are we doing them by giving them what they WANT when we know that it is not GOOD for them? Without proper nutrition and a good night’s sleep, our kids come to school irritable, anxious, and inattentive.  In addition, we send them the wrong message.  They learn they can do what they want and not do what they don’t want. The concept of “need to do” is absent. Unfortunately, in order to achieve our goals in our lives, we have to do what’s necessary, which may not always be what we want to do.  For example, if a child wants to be an A student, he needs to study hard. If he wants to be a successful soccer player, he needs to practice every day. Our children know very well what they want, but have a very hard time doing what is necessary to achieve that goal. This results in unattainable goals and leaves the kids disappointed.

4. ENDLESS FUN

We have created an artificial fun world for our children. There are no dull moments. The moment it becomes quiet, we run to entertain them again, because otherwise, we feel that we are not doing our parenting duty. We live in two separate worlds. They have their “fun“ world, and we have our “work” world. Why aren’t children helping us in the kitchen or with laundry? Why don’t they tidy up their toys? This is basic monotonous work that trains the brain to be workable and function under “boredom,” which is the same “muscle” that is required to be eventually teachable at school.  When they come to school and it is time for handwriting their answer is “I can’t. It is too hard. Too boring.” Why? Because the workable “muscle” is not getting trained through endless fun. It gets trained through work.

5. LIMITED SOCIAL INTERACTION

We are all busy, so we give our kids digital gadgets and make them “busy” too. Kids used to play outside, where, in unstructured natural environments, they learned and practiced their social skills.  Unfortunately, technology replaced the outdoor time.  Also, technology made the parents less available to socially interact with their kids. Obviously, our kids fall behind… the babysitting gadget is not equipped to help kids develop social skills. Most successful people have great social skills. This is the priority!

The brain is just like a muscle that is trainable and re-trainable. If you want your child to be able to bike, you teach him biking skills. If you want your child to be able to wait, you need to teach him patience.  If you want your child to be able to socialize, you need to teach him social skills. The same applies to all the other skills. There is no difference!

TRAIN THE BRAIN

You can make a difference in your child’s life by training your child’s brain so that your child will successfully function on social, emotional, and academic levels. Here is how:

1. Limit technology, and re-connect with your kids emotionally

• Surprise them with flowers, share a smile, tickle them, put a love note in their backpack or under their pillow, surprise them by taking them out for lunch on a school day, dance together, crawl together, have pillow fights
  • Have family dinners, board game nights (see the list of my favorite board games), go biking, go to outdoor walks with a flashlight in the evening

2. Train delayed gratification

• Make them wait!!! It is ok to have “I am bored“ time – this is the first step to creativity
  • Gradually increase the waiting time between “I want” and “I get”
  • Avoid technology use in cars and restaurants, and instead teach them waiting while talking and playing games
  • Limit constant snacking

3. Don’t be afraid to set the limits. Kids need limits to grow happy and healthy!!

• Make a schedule for meal times, sleep times, technology time
  • Think of what is GOOD for them- not what they WANT/DON’T WANT. They are going to thank you for that later on in life. Parenting is a hard job. You need to be creative to make them do what is good for them because, most of the time, that is the exact opposite of what they want.
  • Kids need breakfast and nutritious food. They need to spend time outdoor and go to bed at a consistent time in order to come to school available for learning the next day!
  • Convert things that they don’t like doing/trying into fun, emotionally stimulating games

4. Teach your child to do monotonous work from early years as it is the foundation for future “workability”

• Folding laundry, tidying up toys, hanging clothes, unpacking groceries, setting the table, making lunch, unpacking their lunch box, making their bed
  • Be creative. Initially make it stimulating and fun so that their brain associates it with something positive.

5. Teach social skills

• Teach them turn taking, sharing, losing/winning, compromising, complimenting others , using “please and thank you”

From my experience as an occupational therapist, children change the moment parents change their perspective on parenting.  Help your kids succeed in life by training and strengthening their brain sooner rather than later!

Reasons Today's Kids Are Bored At School, Feel Entitled, Have No Patience & No Real Friends, Victoria Prooday, Occupational Therapist, teacher, social, emotional, academic functioning, disabilities, learning, kids, modern lifestyle, brain, malleable, environment, remold, technology, delayed gratification, classroom, boring, visual stimulation, over stimulation, screen time, emotional availability, parenting, stressors, lazy, demanding, irritable, anxious, inattentive, dull moments, boredom,training brain to work, digital gadgets, unstructured play, social skills, re-connect, board games, learn to wait, I am bored, OK to be bored, patience, monotonous work, 

Victoria holds a Master of Science in Occupational Therapy from the Medical School at University of Toronto and a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology and Health Science from York University. She is founder and director of a multidisciplinary clinic in Toronto, Canada, for children with behavioral, social, emotional and academic challenges. Victoria, along with her team, has helped hundreds of families across Canada and around the world and is a frequent guest speaker to teachers, parents and professionals.