Connect to us
      Facebook Login
      Site Registration Why to Join

Facebook Login
Site Registration

The Reality of Anganwadi Scheme in Karnakata

+2 votes

Photo Source  :   Times of India

To prevent cases of malnutrition among kindergarten children, Karnataka government recently started a new scheme.

Under this scheme, the government provides two eggs and 5 glasses of milk to every child per week.

But it has come to light that the scheme is not fulfilling its aim. The situation in many Anganwadis is such that instead of two eggs, children have been getting only one or half or sometimes no eggs at all.
One boiled egg is divided between two, and in some cases among four children. Only half a litre of milk is distributed to a dozen kids.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/one-egg-for-4-kids-the-reality-of-anganwadi-kids-egg-scheme-in-karnataka/articleshow/59744864.cms

As per the budget announcement in July when the scheme came into force, more than 35 lakh Anganwadis come under this scheme. But as the government is not supplying the materials for this scheme, it falls on the teachers should to buy eggs and milk from the market.  

The state gives Rs 4.50 per egg, but in most places, each egg costs around Rs 5 or Rs 6. Due to this shortage of funds, most Anganwadi teachers cannot afford to buy the required number of eggs for their charges.

The teachers say that the government should provide eggs directly to the Anganwadis.  

The state government's Women and Children Welfare Committee ordered that eggs and milk should be given to children in the 3-6 years age group. But in Anganwadis, there're 2-3 year old children too.

posted Jul 25, 2017 by Nalini Vishwanath

Promote This Blog
Facebook Share Button Twitter Share Button Google+ Share Button LinkedIn Share Button Multiple Social Share Button
Nalini Vishwanath,
Very true that children are not getting what government as promised. But,it is not only government fault. One of the girl who came to foteacher training course narrated that her sister in law who is anganwadi teacher in a village shows in record 35 children but, fact is in anganawadi there are only 5. This is adjusted between supervisior and others. This girl who reside in Bangalore goes to her village and get all the groceries for her house including sanitary napkins,cotton, toys etc.,, she told that she only buy Oil because it is not good. Rava, jaggery, curry leaves,red chilli everything she brings. Her family is running on this. I hope these corruption is all over because after she said one more girl from another village is telling my neighbor is a teacher in anganwadi and she also won't buy apart from rice and oil. Basically everyone under this scheme is getting benefits apart from those who required.
Thank you somuch for throwing light into facts and reality. u hv been bold enough tovoice out whts happening.  Good Luck !
Actual fact is it that the purpose of the scheme itself is to give education to more children... to attract the child to come to school through these kind of program.
It feels really sad when the purpose is not served but utilised in a wrong way.

Related Blogs
+2 votes

Prasad studies, works at home, helps his father and still manages to score all ‘A’s in his exams

http://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.com/bangalore/others/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-street-smart-boy/articleshow/58990782.cms

By Anantha Subramanyam KAnantha Subramanyam K, Bangalore Mirror Bureau

Sitting on the pavement at Gandhinagar, 10-year-old Prasad peers attentively into a book. On closer inspection, you see it is a Mathematics textbook. He will be in Class V this year and does not waste time to catch up on the syllabus. But unlike other school-going children, Prasad has not enrolled into any summer camp for the vacations. He goes to help his father Shakarappa stitch seat covers for auto rickshaws behind Freedom Park instead.
"Though I ask him to spend time at home with his books, he is keen on assisting me and joins me every day. When we do not have any customers, he studies,"
Shankarappa says.

Shankarappa earns an average of Rs 300 a day if he gets enough customers. When Bangalore Mirror visited Prasad's home, he offers to make us tea or coffee. He proceeds to the kitchen, which is just a partition of a 10X15 dwelling with an asbestos roof. "I know how to make coffee and tea and I can also clean the house as my mother leaves early for her work," he says before heading out to fill water as they get water only for one hour."His mother Manjula works in the housekeeping department in Jubilee International Public School. Both Prasad and his elder sister Pavithra goes to this school. The school has waived their fees. We spend only on books and uniform," Shankarappa says. Meanwhile, Prasad returns with coffee and shows us his progress report that is filled with A+ in all disciplines.

In school too, teachers are all praise for Prasad's obedience and hard work. "Though we have enough children under RTE rules, there are many more children from economically weaker sections who need help and guidance. As education is the greatest help, we encourage parents to put the children in our school. Most of these students are brilliant and hardworking. Prasad and his sister Pavithra are shining stars as they excel in all the subjects," says TV Mohan, Chairman of Jubilee International Public School.

As for Prasad, he has a set goal in sight - study well and become a Mechanical Engineer.

+1 vote

Source: http://www.schooleducation.kar.nic.in

BENGALURU: The education department’s school adoption programme is receiving good response with many individuals and companies coming forward to give a ‘make over’ to government schools.
As per the information available from the department of public instruction, every week they are getting at least three queries seeking information about school adoption. “It is not that the people who are inquiring want to adopt an entire school. Some want to do something for a government school by spending `50,000. In some cases, they are ready to give up to `10 lakh,” said an official.

The department has not set any limit for the contribution people can contribute whatever they want to. “Most queries we get are about construction of toilets and providing safe drinking water. The second highest queries is about renovation of buildings,” said an official.
The department re-launched the school adoption programme in September last year. Primary and Secondary Education Minister Tanveer Sait had invited interested people help rejuvenate government schools across the state and had asked officials to come up with a list of 5,000 schools which really needed a makeover.  

“A majority of donors are showing interest in improving government schools located in Bengaluru. Representatives from MNCs, private firms and old students unions have approached us for information. We need help for the schools which are outside the city too,” an official said.
Recently, VKO Government Urdu School in Shivajinagar was inaugurated after renovation.  The school now has infrastructure that is similar to any elite private school in the city.

+2 votes

Photo source  :   google.co.in

Differently abled kids will benefit if govt makes space for this system, says Karnataka chapter

The Karnataka chapter of Indian Montessori Centre wants the state government to implement Montessori system with more space for differently abled children.

Sumathi Ravindranath, chairperson of Karnataka Chapter of Indian Montessori Centre, told BM, "Not many parents know that their kids with hearing impairment, Down Syndrome, or autism can also be taught in a normal school. Differently abled children do well from two-and-a- half years to six years, but after, they will enter a critical phase which no one is bothered. They are not taken in schools."

http://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.com/bangalore/others/montessori-in-anganwadis-can-make-classrooms-inclusive/articleshow/59654879.cms

"We have taken up a school on Bannerghatta Road, where kids from rural areas and differently abled kids are learning in a Montessori set-up. People think Montessori is something elite and only certain people can study. There is nothing like that," added Sumathi.

Montessori India has requested the state government to allot a room in state-run schools to include this aspect of the learning. "We have approached authorities to inculcate Montessori teaching in anganwadis.

The state needs to give us permission, we will take up everything that needs to be done; right from building infrastructure, to learning modules and training teachers in handling differently abled students. In Montessori learning, children with any kind of disability can learn seamlessly," said Sumathi.

Read more ... 

+1 vote

The Department of Primary and Secondary Education is going to a draft policy on the education for children with special needs. This will address issues such as access to school, teaching aid, teaching methodology, employing special teachers etc. 

http://edupost.in/students/read/the-department-of-education-draft-new-policy-for-children-with-special-need

Indresh R., Deputy Secretary to the Government of Karnataka, said: “We deliberated on the need to train teachers and sensitize them so that they are able to identify children with special needs at an early stage. This would help in designing early interventions to the children that would help them.”

Currently, as per the Education Department’s records there are over 85,000 children with special needs studying in classes 1 to 10. Now there are two types of interventions. One is home-based education where volunteers visit homes of children with disabilities and teach them. The other one, school readiness programme, has a school set up at the taluk level where children with disabilities can attend classes. This programme prepares them for education in mainstream schools later on.

The policy is in line with the Rights of Persons with disabilities Act, 2016, which underlines the need for the government to promote inclusive education where students with and without disability learn together and the teaching and learning system meets the learning needs of different types of students with disabilities. The department will hold more such consultations before coming up with a draft.

+2 votes

Photo credit - google.co.in

Shankar and Seema were working as child labourers to support their families but today they feel empowered as they work for the cause of deprived children.

Ranjith Kandya, Mysuru, DH News Service

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/617036/robbed-childhood-their-labour-love.html

The two, both aged 17, are members of ‘It’s Time to Talk - Children’s Views on Children’s Work’. As members of the campaign they visit various places across the country including New Delhi to create awareness about child labour and other issues pertaining to children. The campaign has members from 37 countries and aims to support the voice of working children from different contexts and facilitate it to be heard and considered in local, national and global meetings on child labour.

Sabeena says every child has a dream and having been a child labour herself, she is aware of the plight of such children. “Being a victim of child labour myself, it’s my duty to create awareness about the ill-effects of child labour. Education is the key to eradicate the social evil and governments should provide free and compulsory education till students complete II PUC,” she says.

While Sabeena was working in an incense manufacturing unit in Mysuru, Shankar was a flower vendor. Sabeena discontinued school when she was pursuing class V to support her family. Similarly, Shankar had to give up studies after his parents died.

Thanks to the city-based Rural Literacy and Health Programme (RLHP), an organisation working for deprived children, the two got a chance to become a part of mainstream society.

Shankar and Sabeena Banu, who were once school dropouts and child labourers, are now members of ‘It’s Time to Talk’, an international agency which campaigns against child labour.

Sabeena says that when she was working in the incense unit, a few volunteers of the RLHP noticed her and made all necessary arrangements to continue her education. “My mother was the breadwinner for the family. When I was in Class V, we faced severe hardships and thus I started working. I had to then give up my dreams of getting an education,” she says. Sabeena has now completed first PUC and has also completed basic courses in spoken English and computers.

Shankar says that members of the RLHP contacted him and took him along with them during one of their field visits. “I was admitted to Asha Kiran, a shelter house for boys, and I started going to school. I completed SSLC and applied for ITI,” he said. Shankar is also trained in organic farming and is well aware of farming methods.