Connect to us
      Facebook Login
      Site Registration Why to Join

Facebook Login
Site Registration

New building of 70-year-old school finally opened

+1 vote

Picture Credits:TOI

BENGALURU: The gates of Subbaiah Reddy Higher Primary School in Jogupalya, Ulsoor, were finally unlocked by mayor G Padmavathi on Thursday, a week after TOI published a related report. The old building was ravaged by rain in 2006, and a new one came up subsequently. But despite the construction being over, it remained locked since 2011, due to non-payment of the contractor's dues.
The 70-year-old BBMP-run institution is the only Kannada-medium school in Jogpulya and caters to students in four wards. A TOI article dated June 9 had highlighted the woes of students, who had to share classrooms with students of another school. BBMP owes the contractor Rs 36 lakh.
"After the newspaper highlighted the issue of students being affected due to non-payment of bills, I held a meeting with the officials concerned and asked them to clear the dues as soon as possible," said the mayor who inaugurated the school on Thursday.
However, contractor C Babu, said, "BBMP officials have told me I will be paid 50% of the dues in two days. If I don't get the money, I will get a stay from court. I have been running from pillar to post for the past seven years, have been hospitalized several times but all my efforts have drawn a blank," said the contractor who's in his 70s.
When BBMP had floated the tender for the new building, the proposed cost was Rs 46 lakh, but the amount escalated to Rs 98 lakh. Of that, Rs 36 lakh is still due, the reason why BBMP was not able to reopen the school. It has 10 classrooms for primary students along with an office, washrooms and drinking water facility.
BR Chandran, a former student of the school who had been fighting for its reopening, said, "I am on top of the world today. Finally, the school has been opened for the existing students. I hope that more students take admission here and teachers are hired as soon as possible."

-Aditi Gyanesh

References

Aditi Gyanesh | TNN | Updated: Jun 16, 2017
posted Jun 16, 2017 by anonymous

Promote This Blog
Facebook Share Button Twitter Share Button Google+ Share Button LinkedIn Share Button Multiple Social Share Button

Related Blogs
+1 vote

The Department of Primary and Secondary Education is going to a draft policy on the education for children with special needs. This will address issues such as access to school, teaching aid, teaching methodology, employing special teachers etc. 

http://edupost.in/students/read/the-department-of-education-draft-new-policy-for-children-with-special-need

Indresh R., Deputy Secretary to the Government of Karnataka, said: “We deliberated on the need to train teachers and sensitize them so that they are able to identify children with special needs at an early stage. This would help in designing early interventions to the children that would help them.”

Currently, as per the Education Department’s records there are over 85,000 children with special needs studying in classes 1 to 10. Now there are two types of interventions. One is home-based education where volunteers visit homes of children with disabilities and teach them. The other one, school readiness programme, has a school set up at the taluk level where children with disabilities can attend classes. This programme prepares them for education in mainstream schools later on.

The policy is in line with the Rights of Persons with disabilities Act, 2016, which underlines the need for the government to promote inclusive education where students with and without disability learn together and the teaching and learning system meets the learning needs of different types of students with disabilities. The department will hold more such consultations before coming up with a draft.

+1 vote

There are greater things to be achieved in every New Year, and each and everyone must prepare themselves to be great, not by words of the mouth, but by a lot of sacrifices. – Michael Bassey Johnson

+1 vote

Picture source:TOI

BENGALURU: Imagine a cheese cube being an inspiration for comfortable shoes, microbes in bread mould being an inspiration for a stylish building and many more from day to day activities are inspiring students to step in the world of designs.
Some of the examples of best out of day to day inspiration for designs were put on display at Vismaya Gallery at Rangoli Metro Arts Centre near MG road Metro station on Friday by 32 students of DQ labs who displayed their design quotient. These students were from class 7-12. They took imagination beyond expectations by using several design techniques like animation, 3D, sketching, folding and other short quick exercises. Student exhibitors are mainly the aspiring designers in several fields like apparel designing, jewellery, shoes, bags, architecture, etc. Their concepts are being showcased through an exhibition which will highlight Animation, Game Design, Fashion Design, Architecture, Interior Space Design etc.
Aarya Bharathan, a class 8 student who took cheese as an inspiration for design said, "Nothing else could have taken my love for design to the next level than being with the creative mind. The shoes created based on cheese according me will not only be stylish but comfortable due to the dots or gaps in them."

Muskaan Aggarwal used Bread mould to design the structure of a building, said, "It's completely different concept and at the top of the building you can have extremely different view from the circular cabins."
On Saturday, one of our students Ahona Mukherjee, will be attempting to break a Guinness Book of World record for the smallest complete Chess Board. "I am super excited," she said. Ahona is also interested in Architecture design apart from being a miniature designer herself.

0 votes

We are pleased to inform you that our Talking books solution is now being deployed in Telangana state government schools as part of UNICEF initiated govt project. The amazing audio technology brings new level of learning and interaction to kids. Please find the local TV coverage below. For more information visit us www.isparkinnovations.net or speak to your sales / distribution contact in the region. Else call us on 080 4093 6921 or email: sridhar@isparkinnovations.net

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTcKRa3sCsk&feature=youtu.be​

Click on the above link to watch the video

0 votes

Picture Source: NDTV.COM

By- Press Trust of India 

https://www.ndtv.com/education/delhi-government-to-introduce-happiness-curriculum-in-its-schools-1809892

NEW DELHI:  Students in Delhi government-run schools will now get lessons on being 'happy' with the AAP dispensation planning to introduce a "happiness curriculum" for nursery to class 8 from upcoming academic session. Addressing a gathering at the Excellence in Education awards at Thyagraj Stadium, Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia today said, "The Delhi government has commissioned a team of experts, including school teachers, which is preparing a framework for the happiness curriculum."

"The entire curriculum will be purely activity-based and no formal examinations will be conducted on it. However, a periodic assessment of children's progress will be made using a happiness index," he said.

Mr Sisodia said at a time when neighbouring Bhutan is formulating policies to ensure a high Happiness Index for its citizens, introduction of happiness curriculum in schools will help enhance personality of children and influence the direction in which we are heading as a society and nation.

"Education has to serve a larger moral and societal purpose and cannot be looked at in isolation from the needs of society. Even as we aim for economic equality, we must strive for 'happiness equality' as well," he said.

Mr Sisodia, who is also Delhi's education minister, appealed to teachers and students of government schools in the capital to come forward and assist the government in developing the happiness curriculum.