Connect to us
      Facebook Login
      Site Registration Why to Join

Facebook Login
Site Registration

HOW A MONK BROUGHT CHILDREN OUT OF SLUMS TO SCHOOL

+2 votes

Express photo by Kamleshwar Singh

“My first thought was these children are not going to live long by picking food from the streets. But I did not know how to help them. I did not know much about Indian culture and everyone I spoke to dismissed these children as rag-pickers and thieves," he says.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/how-a-monk-brought-children-out-of-slums-to-schools-lobsang-jamyang-dharamshala-4699506/

Varinder Bhatia | Dharamsala

In 1997, when Lobsang Jamyang escaped from Tibet and arrived in Dharamsala, the 24-year-old had two “goals in life”: to meet the Dalai Lama, which he did soon after arriving; and study religion, which he went on to do at Sera Jey monastery in Mundgod, Karnataka.

However, he says, it was only when he returned to Dharamsala in 2001 that he realised his second goal was farther away, that his religion had more to teach him. “Two children used to follow me as I went from my home to the monastery, wait for me outside all day, and follow me back, begging for a coin or something to eat,” says Lobsang. Then one day, in July that year, he saw the two foraging through a heap of garbage outside his one-room accommodation, looking for something to eat.

“My first thought was these children are not going to live long by picking food from the streets. But I did not know how to help them. I did not know much about Indian culture and everyone I spoke to dismissed these children as rag-pickers and thieves,” he says.

That was his big Buddhist moment. “My conscience pricked me. As a follower of His Holiness and a student of Buddhism, how could I allow such a thing to happen,” says the 44-year-old.

That’s how the monk, whose official status in India is that of a refugee, set up Tong Len Charitable Trust, which runs a residential set-up in Sarah village, some 15 km from Mcleodganj, with financial backing from the Dalai Lama. Today, there are 107 children, mainly ragpickers from the slums of Kangra Valley, who stay at Tong Len. For their schooling, the Trust has tied up with Dayanand Model Senior Secondary School.

Pinky, a 17-year-old, has just finished her higher secondary school with 75 per cent marks in the science stream. “I will be starting my coaching classes for my PMT (pre-medical test) exams. I want to be a doctor,” says Pinky. Both her parents are daily wagers.

Meenakshi Gautam, principal of Dayanand Model Senior Secondary School, says, “We are lucky to be part of this initiative. There are nearly 100 students from Tong Len who are with us.”

Lobsang says he used to pay parents Rs 150 every month to keep their children at Tong Len. “But as the numbers increased, we thought we should utilise the money to provide better facilities at Tong Len,” he says.

References

Lobsang Jamyang with students, The Indian Express, India News
posted Jun 12, 2017 by anonymous

Promote This Blog
Facebook Share Button Twitter Share Button Google+ Share Button LinkedIn Share Button Multiple Social Share Button

Related Blogs
+1 vote

For the 12th consecutive year, Anand Shiksha Kendra, Sarjapur Road, achieved 100% pass results. In all, five of 40 students secured a CGPA 10 and eight students CGPA 9 and above.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-in-school/cbse-a-record-number-of-children-bag-10-cgpa-a1-grades/article18869889.ece

At Siddaganga Public School in Chandra Layout, 76 students appeared and 18 secured CGPA 10. In all, 30 students secured CGPA 9 and above.

In National Public School, Rajajinagar, 125 students appeared and the school achieved 100% pass results. In all, 40 students secured CGPA 10, while 51 secured CGPA 9 and above.

At National Hill View Public School, Rajarajeshwarinagar, 119 students appeared. In all, 32 students secured CGPA 10, while 76 CGPA of 9 and above.

All the 118 students of National Public School, Indiranagar, passed and 45 students secured CGPA 10. In all 46 students secured CGPA 9 and above.

Read more at : http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-in-school/cbse-a-record-number-of-children-bag-10-cgpa-a1-grades/article18869889.ece

+2 votes

Picture Credits:DC

Bengaluru: The transformation of a government school which had hardly 70 students in the rolls to a school now aspired by many is the face-changing story of Government V.K.O School at Shivajinagar.

With over 100 years of history, the school that was officially inaugurated after a revamp worth Rs 16 crore, now as applicants streaming in, even days after the start of the new academic year.

The school now has more than 1500 students. “It was totally overwhelming that 7,900 students approached us for admissions this year out of which 1,569 were admitted,” said Syed Athar Pasha, acting Principal and Administrative Advisor.

Formerly known as V.K. Obaidulla Govt Urdu School, the institution at present offers education in various mediums including English, Urdu, and Kannada. “Students from the sixth grade and above are given two options to chose from – English and Kannada. From high school level, each student can pick up Urdu or Hindi as the third language, English and Kannada being the first two respectively,” Pasha explained.

With 42 smart class rooms, lab facilities, library, recreational rooms and dining halls spread across four floors at the campus, a visit to the school would make one relook at the stereotype of  a government school. Sixty new teachers were hired this year to the existing 24 appointed by the government.The revamp was done by I Monetary Advisory Council (IMA), the charitable wing of IMA group. Speaking to Deccan Chronicle, Mohammed Mansoor Khan, President of the Advisory Council affirms that the council seeks to provide facilities to the needy as its primary objective since its inception.

“The school which is located at a key area in the city with a populous community residing around was not up to the standard. With demand for quality education on the rise, a complete makeover was necessary for the survival of the institution.” He also attributes the basic thought behind taking up the project to state minister R. Roshan Baig, who is also an alumnus of the school.

The school is under constant surveillance with a total of 126 CCTV installed at various points, including classrooms. The school administration has also developed a smart phone application through which parents can monitor the developments of their wards at the campus.

Nearby residents are elated with revamped school and are keen to seek admission for their wards. “It is a blessing that a school with such facilities have started working in our area. If not this year, I’ll apply earlier next year to ensure my son gets a seat here,” said Majeed Salam, a parent. The renovated institution was officially inaugurated recently by CM Siddaramaiah.

Number of Students
463 – Kindergarten
572 – Lower Primary
354 – Upper Primary
180 – High-School
1569 – Total

+1 vote

Sadanand Nayak, Principal District and Sessions Judge, inaugurating an awareness jatha in Yadgir on Thursday.

Sadanand S. Nayak, Principal District and Sessions Judge, said on Thursday that it was every citizen’s duty to prevent child marriage. He asked law enforcement agencies to ensure action is taken against those responsible for child marriages.

Jatha taken out against child marriage

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-karnataka/educate-children-and-make-them-pillars-of-society-says-judge/article19079124.ece

He was addressing a gathering after inaugurating an awareness jatha titled ‘Prevention of Child Marriage and Shale Kade Nanna Nade’, jointly organised by the district administration, the zilla panchayat, the District Legal Services Authority, the District Bar Association and others.

Urging parents not to marry off their minor children, Mr. Nayak said that performing a child marriage was an offence under the law. “Educate your children, make them pillars of the society,” he said.

Deputy Commissioner Khushboo Goel Chowdhary and zilla panchayat CEO Avinash Menon Rajendran released booklets and pamphlets on the theme. Sharanappa Patil, deputy director of the Department of Women and Child Development, were present.

+2 votes

Prasad studies, works at home, helps his father and still manages to score all ‘A’s in his exams

http://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.com/bangalore/others/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-street-smart-boy/articleshow/58990782.cms

By Anantha Subramanyam KAnantha Subramanyam K, Bangalore Mirror Bureau

Sitting on the pavement at Gandhinagar, 10-year-old Prasad peers attentively into a book. On closer inspection, you see it is a Mathematics textbook. He will be in Class V this year and does not waste time to catch up on the syllabus. But unlike other school-going children, Prasad has not enrolled into any summer camp for the vacations. He goes to help his father Shakarappa stitch seat covers for auto rickshaws behind Freedom Park instead.
"Though I ask him to spend time at home with his books, he is keen on assisting me and joins me every day. When we do not have any customers, he studies,"
Shankarappa says.

Shankarappa earns an average of Rs 300 a day if he gets enough customers. When Bangalore Mirror visited Prasad's home, he offers to make us tea or coffee. He proceeds to the kitchen, which is just a partition of a 10X15 dwelling with an asbestos roof. "I know how to make coffee and tea and I can also clean the house as my mother leaves early for her work," he says before heading out to fill water as they get water only for one hour."His mother Manjula works in the housekeeping department in Jubilee International Public School. Both Prasad and his elder sister Pavithra goes to this school. The school has waived their fees. We spend only on books and uniform," Shankarappa says. Meanwhile, Prasad returns with coffee and shows us his progress report that is filled with A+ in all disciplines.

In school too, teachers are all praise for Prasad's obedience and hard work. "Though we have enough children under RTE rules, there are many more children from economically weaker sections who need help and guidance. As education is the greatest help, we encourage parents to put the children in our school. Most of these students are brilliant and hardworking. Prasad and his sister Pavithra are shining stars as they excel in all the subjects," says TV Mohan, Chairman of Jubilee International Public School.

As for Prasad, he has a set goal in sight - study well and become a Mechanical Engineer.

+1 vote

Aditi Gyanesh@timesgroup

Bengaluru:

Was Old Building Razed 11 Yrs Ago After Rain Damage. It's been six years since the new building for Subbaiah Reddy Higher Primary School in Jogupalya, Ulsoor, was completed but it is yet to be inaugurated. The 82 students from the school are still sharing classrooms with students of BBMP High School on Jogupalya Main Road.

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/Article.aspx?eid=31806&articlexml=School-locked-since-2011-as-BBMP-fails-to-09062017003045

Eleven years ago, the old building was demolished after it was severely damaged following a downpour, and Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) hired a contractor to construct a new building for the 70-yearold school. Initially, the contractor had locked the building as his bills were due. He has now handed over the keys to BBMP but the school is unused. The initial construction cost as per the tender was Rs 46 lakh, but the final cost touched Rs 98 crore.BBMP still owes the contractor Rs 36 lakh.

C Babu, the contractor, told TOI: “I have given them the keys to the building. If they don't pay my dues, I will move the court seeking a stay. I will not allow them to use it, and the children will also be moved out.“ BBMP special commissioner (education) S G Raveendra said: “It's a small matter (of payment). We have inspected the building and will be opening it soon for children. The date is yet to be decided.“

B R Chandran, who studied at the school in the 1960s, has been fighting for its reopening. “This is the only Kannada medium school for four wards,“ Chandran said.“Work on the building was completed by 2011, but the school was not opened.“ Chandran has written to a number of BBMP officials over the years, including mayor G Padmavathi. During an inspection, Padmavathi had said the school would be opened on May 29 but it has not happened. “The building is beautiful. We just want students to get an education,“ said Chandran.