ISpark Community
    Connect to us
      Facebook Login
      Site Registration Why to Join

Facebook Login
Site Registration

The Department of Education draft new policy for children with special needs

+1 vote

The Department of Primary and Secondary Education is going to a draft policy on the education for children with special needs. This will address issues such as access to school, teaching aid, teaching methodology, employing special teachers etc. 

http://edupost.in/students/read/the-department-of-education-draft-new-policy-for-children-with-special-need

Indresh R., Deputy Secretary to the Government of Karnataka, said: “We deliberated on the need to train teachers and sensitize them so that they are able to identify children with special needs at an early stage. This would help in designing early interventions to the children that would help them.”

Currently, as per the Education Department’s records there are over 85,000 children with special needs studying in classes 1 to 10. Now there are two types of interventions. One is home-based education where volunteers visit homes of children with disabilities and teach them. The other one, school readiness programme, has a school set up at the taluk level where children with disabilities can attend classes. This programme prepares them for education in mainstream schools later on.

The policy is in line with the Rights of Persons with disabilities Act, 2016, which underlines the need for the government to promote inclusive education where students with and without disability learn together and the teaching and learning system meets the learning needs of different types of students with disabilities. The department will hold more such consultations before coming up with a draft.

posted May 24, 2017 by Krinz Kiran

Promote This Blog
Facebook Share Button Twitter Share Button Google+ Share Button LinkedIn Share Button Multiple Social Share Button

Related Blogs
+2 votes

BENGALURU: After steering some of the successful education-related endeavours in Karnataka, three eminent individuals from the state have made it to the new National Education Policy panel.  

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/three-from-karnataka-on-panel-for-new-national-education-policy/articleshow/59330946.cms

The panel, set up by the Union ministry of human resources, will be headed by Krishnaswamy Kasturirangan, chairman of the Karnataka Knowledge Commission and chancellor of Jawaharlal Nehru University. A former chairman of Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Kasturirangan is also an honorary professor at Jawarharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Research, Bengaluru and is a professor emeritus at National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bengaluru.

Former member-secretary of Karnataka State Innovation Council M K Sridhar, who was associated with the Karnataka Knowledge Commission earlier, is also on the panel. He was Professor at Canara Bank School of Management Studies at Bangalore University.

The third panel member from the state is T V Kattimani, language communication expert and vice-chancellor of Indira Gandhi National Tribal University, Amarkantak. He hails from Koppal district in North Karnataka. Sridhar said that efforts would be made to roll out a strong educational policy.Highlighting the need for changes in the system, Sridhar told TOI, "I am happy that I have been tasked with such an important work. The country's education system needs a lot of changes and as panel members, we will discuss these issues to come out with a strong policy."

The new panel will replace an earlier education policy committee formed by the HRD ministry under former cabinet secretary T S R Subramanian a couple of years ago.Sources said inputs from the Subramanian panel report would also be utilised by the new committee.  

+1 vote

Picture Credits:TOI

BENGALURU: The gates of Subbaiah Reddy Higher Primary School in Jogupalya, Ulsoor, were finally unlocked by mayor G Padmavathi on Thursday, a week after TOI published a related report. The old building was ravaged by rain in 2006, and a new one came up subsequently. But despite the construction being over, it remained locked since 2011, due to non-payment of the contractor's dues.
The 70-year-old BBMP-run institution is the only Kannada-medium school in Jogpulya and caters to students in four wards. A TOI article dated June 9 had highlighted the woes of students, who had to share classrooms with students of another school. BBMP owes the contractor Rs 36 lakh.
"After the newspaper highlighted the issue of students being affected due to non-payment of bills, I held a meeting with the officials concerned and asked them to clear the dues as soon as possible," said the mayor who inaugurated the school on Thursday.
However, contractor C Babu, said, "BBMP officials have told me I will be paid 50% of the dues in two days. If I don't get the money, I will get a stay from court. I have been running from pillar to post for the past seven years, have been hospitalized several times but all my efforts have drawn a blank," said the contractor who's in his 70s.
When BBMP had floated the tender for the new building, the proposed cost was Rs 46 lakh, but the amount escalated to Rs 98 lakh. Of that, Rs 36 lakh is still due, the reason why BBMP was not able to reopen the school. It has 10 classrooms for primary students along with an office, washrooms and drinking water facility.
BR Chandran, a former student of the school who had been fighting for its reopening, said, "I am on top of the world today. Finally, the school has been opened for the existing students. I hope that more students take admission here and teachers are hired as soon as possible."

-Aditi Gyanesh

+1 vote

Education minister launched the state government's education loan repayment support scheme at the Town Hall. Speaking at the function he said, if needed the government will provide more fund and all eligible students will be brought under this scheme.

http://edupost.in/students/read/more-funds-for-education-loan-repayment-plan

The 900-crore government scheme to aid education loan defaulters in the state was launched in Kottayam on Tuesday. Inaugurating the scheme, Education Minister C Raveendranath said the government will consider allocating more funds to help the families who defaulted on the loans and were facing confiscation proceedings.

“The changing economic system, owing to the increasing divide between the rich and the poor, has a major role in putting people in acute financial crisis. Most students fail to get jobs on time after completing their courses due to problems in the system,” he said.

The government has earmarked Rs 900 crore for the scheme aimed at helping financially backward students. The scheme envisages government support to those who availed education loan for a period of four years.
He said that the borrower alone cannot be blamed for failing to repay the loan.

Gayathri

Read more at: http://edupost.in/students/read/more-funds-for-education-loan-repayment-plan

+1 vote

There are greater things to be achieved in every New Year, and each and everyone must prepare themselves to be great, not by words of the mouth, but by a lot of sacrifices. – Michael Bassey Johnson

+2 votes

Picture Credits:DC

Bengaluru: The transformation of a government school which had hardly 70 students in the rolls to a school now aspired by many is the face-changing story of Government V.K.O School at Shivajinagar.

With over 100 years of history, the school that was officially inaugurated after a revamp worth Rs 16 crore, now as applicants streaming in, even days after the start of the new academic year.

The school now has more than 1500 students. “It was totally overwhelming that 7,900 students approached us for admissions this year out of which 1,569 were admitted,” said Syed Athar Pasha, acting Principal and Administrative Advisor.

Formerly known as V.K. Obaidulla Govt Urdu School, the institution at present offers education in various mediums including English, Urdu, and Kannada. “Students from the sixth grade and above are given two options to chose from – English and Kannada. From high school level, each student can pick up Urdu or Hindi as the third language, English and Kannada being the first two respectively,” Pasha explained.

With 42 smart class rooms, lab facilities, library, recreational rooms and dining halls spread across four floors at the campus, a visit to the school would make one relook at the stereotype of  a government school. Sixty new teachers were hired this year to the existing 24 appointed by the government.The revamp was done by I Monetary Advisory Council (IMA), the charitable wing of IMA group. Speaking to Deccan Chronicle, Mohammed Mansoor Khan, President of the Advisory Council affirms that the council seeks to provide facilities to the needy as its primary objective since its inception.

“The school which is located at a key area in the city with a populous community residing around was not up to the standard. With demand for quality education on the rise, a complete makeover was necessary for the survival of the institution.” He also attributes the basic thought behind taking up the project to state minister R. Roshan Baig, who is also an alumnus of the school.

The school is under constant surveillance with a total of 126 CCTV installed at various points, including classrooms. The school administration has also developed a smart phone application through which parents can monitor the developments of their wards at the campus.

Nearby residents are elated with revamped school and are keen to seek admission for their wards. “It is a blessing that a school with such facilities have started working in our area. If not this year, I’ll apply earlier next year to ensure my son gets a seat here,” said Majeed Salam, a parent. The renovated institution was officially inaugurated recently by CM Siddaramaiah.

Number of Students
463 – Kindergarten
572 – Lower Primary
354 – Upper Primary
180 – High-School
1569 – Total